Monday, June 25, 2007

Inertia

Social inertia is a term that applies the concept of inertia to psychology and sociology. It is used to describe the resistance to change presented by societies or social groups, usually due to habit. An example of social inertia can be noticed in United States nonconformity with the SI standard units.
This is a term I've heard over the years, particularly being applied to me. The reason - my unwillingness to look for a change of jobs even after 4 years of being in one organization. I'd never given thought to the word as such, but these days when a change is on the cards, I thought why not look up what gives to Inertia in the corporate world.

Unlike my other posts, I had to do quite some amount of research to pen this one. And I am sure, it wouldn't be too exciting a read considering such bland topics; but I realize that I must learn to write stuff on such matter if i gotta change. And hence, an article against change, for a change. Now that I have laid out in simple terms what this is all about [;-)], lets start.

Inertia in itself is a paradigm by which people tend to restrict and resist changes. We are too comfortable with whats happening around; we are in a deep slumber, and we don't wish to wake up. But, does this definition in reality apply to the desire of a person to associate on a long term basis with a job he finds good? No, not for me at least.

Consider the power of the laws of inertia. Most people stay unless the pressure to leave becomes unbearable. Even in awful marriages, most men and many women stay unless the pain becomes more than they are willing to endure. It is only then that they either leave, or open the emotional door to being seduced away. It is no different in business. If conditions are good, the tendency is to stay. If conditions are bad then almost any carrot (and money is a very sweet smelling carrot) will tempt them away.

But again, thinking money is the only motivator is to assume that all people value the same things in the same hierarchy all of the time and at all stages of their life. Priorities change from person to person, and within a person itself, from time to time. And it is when these priorities change that people often look for a change. Or in other words, a change in priority catalyses anti-inertia.
In our highly educated and industrialized society, needs such as self-esteem, challenge, creativity, acceptance, belonging, and even aesthetics are the primary priorities. The challenge and enjoyment of the work itself, as well as the quality of life in the work environment are significant for most educated people. Others, need the security and comfort provided by feeling close to the people with whom they work.


Having put down the theory, I now examine why I am inertial. I appreciate
- An exceptional team
- A trustworthy management
- Having a say in the work I do and the manner in which I do it.
- Recognition and reward of effort
- Flexible working hours
- Being made feel important.


Of course, all people are not alike, nor are their needs alike. Nor can all companies create the same type of quality work life. Even this company might change its priorities tomorrow. Gone are those post Industrial Revolution days when once could threaten employees to work. Gone are those days when people were willing to work in uncomfortable working environments. As I recounted before, they'd bite the first carrot offered.

Having said all this, I seriously debate if this turned out to be an ad campaign for my company, or a justification for my inertia. Whatever it is, I am not willing to change it. Again, this brings to mind another hot topic - Don't love thy company, love thy job. But more on that, another time... And when you have fallen off you chairs sleeping, don't sue me for breaking your backbone!


No comments: