Monday, February 18, 2008

Sales Summit and why it didnt sell for me

Two weeks back, I attended my first big "Sales Summit". I'd already talked to a lot of these guys on the phone, but that was a good opportunity to put a face behind the voice. It was an exciting time to hear the guys speak and it was very evident why all the business was coming in. Some of the guys were so motivational that you had Goosebumps.

It was also those full suit days, where you had to wear it all the time. Of course foundation day is also one such occasion but who wears it all the time. Its okay here because it is cold...Interestingly, 95%+ people wore black and no one took a chance. I think very few wanted attention on themselves; its always easy to get a ton of work in these summits come your way and one way to tackle that is "sync with the crowd". Some people took it to the extremes. Two guys had the same color, same brand suits, and to top it all, the exact same tie. You can imagine their state of mind when speaker after speaker picked on them. And the icing was when their photo was taken and circulated the next day with the classic "Mastercard" caption. Ticket fare to summit - 150$, Classic Black Armani suit - $ 1750, Wearing the same suit, the same pant and the same tie as your colleague - Priceless.

Exciting part of any such summit is the food, and on the second day, there was authentic Indian food... I haven’t eaten so much for quite some time as I did on that day...

But, I don’t remember that with fondness because the end result was a group photo; now, with 200 people to be photographed, Mike had to take it in four pieces and stitch it together. The sad part was the end result of the stitch. I was so reduced in height that I looked about 5 feet. And those friends whom I used to ridicule for being a lil short have now save the photo and some have even been rumored to frame it. Somebody should move the US congress to pass a bill which will prohibit Stitching..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahah a short snoopy :) :)
can u send me the picture :) please please please :)

thought u ll blog more regularly with US of A stories(flops)...

and wat happened to ur chalus... include a couple of ur classic chalus ... will be fun :) :)

- me

gasmutai said...

ede, work takes a good amount of time :-)... thats not an excuse, but...

mathew said...

heheh..edaa..such stories are daily happenings for me..just that it has come down over the years..:-)

gasmutai said...

yes man.. it is in the software engineer's black book for bloopers.. everyone goes thru it some day.. and like u said, some of us go thru it everyday ;-)