Sunday, December 17, 2006

Cheers!!!

Ramesh had just come from onsite and he had decided to throw us a party on Friday evening. Booze was a given, in such parties. But, it usually peaked only after the lady members had gone and we were left to our own affairs...This time though, it started off a bit early...

And people with drinks in their hands were mixing freely with others and dining. The drink of the night was a Smirnoff vodka that could very well be poured into a mineral water bottle and sold as such..Absolutely no color. This meant that when mixed with sprite or mirinda, no discoloration happened.

I was sitting at a table for six and had with me a few non-drinkers and a couple of drinkers. For a moment i left the table for a second helping. By the time i was back, there was a mix and match of my table mates and a couple of others had replaced the original guys. The beef fry that i took the second time was a lil spicy and i realized could do with some water. I immediately reached out to a full glass of mirinda standing on the table and gulped half of it. It was only when half the contents had gone down my oesophagus, that i realized that it was a drink.

Initially i did not realize anything outside the ordinary. I even chided the drinkers by asking if this was what they were drining; it did not even taste like anything. I started repenting 5 minutes later...my whole digestive system from tongue to large intesting was on fire...The spicy food added to the effect...I could literally feel burning on the insides...even a big glass of water failed to put out the flames...and then things started getting out of hand...I dont know from where i had that big urge to eat more....I had a sampling of almost everything that was laid out, and still wasnt finished. I even polished off two full bowls of fruit salad and ice cream.

All the while the only thought crossing my mind was if it was apparent to another person. I also had these fleeting thoughts of police catching me when i drove home. Fortunately for me, since the drink wasnt properly mixed, i got a large part of mirinda and only a small portion of the drink...and that probably prevented me from crashing out.

After the good byes were said, i drove home, all the while keeping within speed limits, and eagerly looking out for a police patrol. Eventually, with no mis-adventures, i reached home... The scene after i return from a late nite party is ridiculos, often bordering on the insane. Amma would give me a head to toe scan and look into my eyes for any indication of booze consumption...My eyes, after 8-10 hours in the office, and another 1-2 hours facing the blaring headlights, would already be blood-red. To add on to the effect, I would sport a swagger in my step and an incoherent speech...I loved to play this trick ony her. Her face would then register all the "navarasams" which is a treat to watch.
But this time around, i knew i would not have to put up too much of an act. Readying myself for all evenutalities, i stepped out after parking my car, only to learn to my huge relief, that she had slept off early on account of having a headache... Thank God, my first peg-adventure ended quite well. (of course my scale is a trifle different from other drinkers. A 10th of a peg for them is one peg for me...hope u catch the drift.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

post was good.. Smirn off beckoning me :) so it has no taste??? now this is good news.. had tried tasting beer once but the smell was so awful that i cud nt bring myself to taste it :(
- me

gasmutai said...

Mhmmm...no taste, but it will leave u burning :D

Abhi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abhi said...

"I could literally feel burning on the insides"-Ellam 1st time aayonda :D. Nice post, now i know why people hate drinkers. With just 1 drink u began to have a bad day, Veruthe alla Gandhiji told it's not good to drink!

gasmutai said...

Hehehehe :D

Hari said...

Really good Blog... First time drinkin huh !! Seems funny. makes me wanna have a try...

gasmutai said...

@Hari,
Thanks !!