Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Aftershocks of a loan payment

Coming onsite has its own perks; money of course. Within 2 months of me being here, I sent home enough money to finish off my car loan; finally I could say that the car was my own. I was also happy at having dealt with a big burden of more than three years.

But of course, my mum had different plans. As soon as the car loan was finished she was already sending me links to house plots, flats and apartments that were on sale. When we chat, she’ll also tell me the various plot for sale ads in the manorama newspaper. The conversations always followed the same pattern - she was eager to get me to agree on something and start initiating a house loan; me on the other hand downplaying anything she came up with. Some excerpts:

Amma : Da, 10 cents land near nedumbaassery
Me : Just 10? Would’ve been good had it been more.
Amma : I’m not kidding.
Me : Neither am I; there’s a shortage of 10 lacs with me. Will get that in a while; then we can try if we get the nedumbassery airport land also.
Amma : Grrr… Ok, then we can look something near the kaloor stadium.
Me : Perfect; we can then buy the ground also. Long time since I played cricket.
Amma : Ok, fine… I get the idea; then can we look something in Trivandrum?
Me : Sure, why not? I think we should buy a piece of land in every district of kerala. That way we’d be able to counter any price variations across places. Also, it’d help me get settled in any place which might have a probable IT boom. Esp in Idukki - near the dam would be a great place. If we run out of water, we could go to the reservoir and have bath.
Amma : [By this time she’s really getting worked up… she gives me a rendition of some choice words] Ok, do whatever you wish. Don’t later fret that we did not tell you.


Even though I get into this rigmarole primarily to get her worked up, there’s more to it. Buying a piece of land is, to me, akin to getting ready to settle down. Gosh… even the thought drives me crazy; deciding on a place where I want to spend the rest of my life; where to build a home, to come back after work, lie down, close my eyes, and feel contend. I have never planned my life that much ahead; but my mother reminds me everyday of how old I am getting, and the need to do so. I should get some consultancy company to do some work on “The 10 best places to settle down”.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)
Same pinch ... :):) (wish i was there ..could give u a pinch and run away... )
Was thinking of flat/land in ekm
But then nammal paavangalku pattiya rates alla :)
Naz said that ur stay has been extended...Have a jolly good time there.
-me

gasmutai said...

yeah... very likely that it might get extended... urappaayittillaa

Unknown said...

Hahahah ... I see what you mean. This is exactly what happens everytime I find my dad online! :-D

mathew said...

da..have been hearing that ever since i landed here.

gasmutai said...

the poor software engineer has to hear this and a lot more ;-)
the nxt thing they r gonna say is mch more horrible :-D

Nasia said...

Buyin land never means, settling down. It just means some uphand experience in real estate, sell it when the price goes up. .

So go ahead, and get one. considering that the blog is 2 to 3 years old, you might already have bought acres of land