Sunday, November 19, 2006

" Tell me about yourself "


I've had some wonderful opporunities to meet people sitting on either sides of an interview. A few anecdotes which really leave behind some traces in the mind-

1. When I was interviewed - Final HR interview at UST

Murali and Kishore were seated across the table, busy typing away on their laptops.

Murali - "Ok Aravind, tell me about your college."

I started talking abt my college, and they kept "Hmm" ing in between.

Midway they stopped me and asked - "Hmm, so calligraphy is a hobby for you".

"Yes, it is"

"Good, so do you believe that people with a good personality have a good handwriting?"

"Yes I do"

"Interesting...why do you say that?"

"Because I have a good handwriting and a good personality"

"Hahaha..great" {I to this day dont know if it was sarcasm or just my cheeky answer that made them laugh}

Murali immediately took up a piece of paper and scirbbled something on it (utterly illegible) and said...

"There..take a look at that. Do you think you can read that? No right? So any change in opinion?"

"Wow..thats great...It now confirms the fact that every truth on this world can have an exception"

"Hahahaha...Ok Aravind. thanks for your time"

I knew my last answer got me the job

2. When I interviewed

There was this guy in hyderabad. Anything you ask him, he just had a smile on his face. 5 minutes , all smiles and no answers, and i was done. I politely asked him to leave. At that point he asked me to tell him the answers to the questions i asked him. I patiently did so, during the course of which, i saw his eyes getting moist. I knew he was a lil daft in the upper storey...at the end of my explanation he said.."Sir, I have attended a lot of interviews, but till today, no one has ever explained the answers"....I guess he had made it a hobby of attending interviews and giving the interviewers just a smile

3. Telephonic...

After the initial exchange of pleasantries, i started asking him questions...answers not satisfactory...until when i asked him a question and he replied with "Please give me four options" I guess he is brought upon a lot of KBC...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...great one da..
And I fall into the Murali category (hand writing )...another exception :) :) :)
Reminded of my interview with Murali and Kishore :)
THey asked me abt the proj for Final Year..And I was explaining GPS and blah blah blah...
They asked me a practical use of the stuff we did...
I explained.. "C , now we have volvo buses that ply from blore to tvm..if at a particular instant we wanna know where the bus has reached then this will be of great use blah blah"
To which Murali asked... oh thats great... Why cant u look out of the window and find out where u have reached
Moi went red … and after some urundu kali made my point clear
-Me :)

gasmutai said...

Hehehe...Thts a good anecdote as well :)